For Placement 3, I am going to an all girls secondary Catholic College, with 620 students from Years 8-12. XXXX is a vibrant, inclusive and hopeful community, in which each individual is valued. Our passionate, generous and highly competent staff, prepare students for future challenges by encouraging creativity, perseverance and resilience. They encourage excellence. We strive to develop within each girl confidence in her particular talents and abilities and the knowledge that she is important and unique.
The College I am to be involved with outlines this mission:
• engender a passion for lifelong learning.
• encourage excellence.
• value each individual’s gifts and talents.
• are generous with our time and care of each student so that she develops her full potential.
• are a welcoming, vibrant and inclusive community in which we celebrate diversity.
• prepare students for future challenges by encouraging creativity, perseverance and resilience.
• encourage young women to work for social justice so that they recognise that they can make a difference.
• allow students to explore their own faith journey.
• nurture faith in Catholic tradition.
• empower students to practise reconciliation.
• understand and accept the challenge of the Gospels to challenge injustice.
• are proud to be part of the community and are advocates for the school.
• have passionate, generous and highly competent staff.
• are hopeful.
I see this as being a good fit with my current values as an educator but all my personal Catholic values I have. I am looking forward to the challenges that placement has for me but also the challenges and new approaches which an all girls schooling context will throw at me.
Damien Walker is currently studying a Bachelor of Education, Food and Textiles Technologies at University of South Australia. This is him engaging with readings and questions throughout his teaching journey to gain professional insight and knowledge.